Education Services

Frequently Asked Questions
Anne Carlsen Center follows a prescribed procedure beginning with referral for services through the child’s school district and or Therap (on-line state referral system) for education and residential services. Either a referral is made by the school district/special education unit for educational services, private pay referral, or out-of-state Department of Human Services or school/special education unit. The Social Worker at ACC is the contact person for all referrals. All pertinent information is then obtained and reviewed by the admissions committee for acceptance/denial.
Not necessarily, all children, ages 3-21 have the right to a free and appropriate public education (FAPE) including children with disabilities in accordance with IDEA 2004 and ND Century Code. If the resident school district feels they can meet the needs of your child, they will likely attend the public school. Federal special education laws and regulations require FAPE to be provided in the least restrictive environment (LRE). Since special education is a set of services, rather than a specific place for your child to go, the general education class is typically considered the LRE for most children. The best option is to communicate with the local school district on various options for your child to reach their goals and objectives initiated by the IEP.
Special Education includes specially designed instruction to meet the unique needs of the student which, in turn, involves adapting the content, methodology or delivery of instruction for the student to be involved in and make progress in the general curriculum, and to participate in extracurricular and other non-academic activities. All our teachers are highly qualified as defined by North Dakota Department of Public Instruction (NDDPI). In each classroom, a licensed special education teacher and a licensed general education teacher supervise the curriculum. Several Direct Support Professionals assist to carry out the IEP. Subjects being taught include ND standards in English Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies, Physical Education, Health, Home-Ec, Living Skills, etc.
Planning for discharge/transition begins upon admission, and is an ongoing planning process involving the individual served, family, and other community agencies that will be involved in providing services to your child. Discharge/transition planning is part of the IEP process and planning is done at the annual meeting, with subsequent follow-up activities and reviews conducted as needed. At least annually, and as needed, Discharge/Transition Plan is reviewed and updated, addressing residential, education/vocational, therapy, medical, recreation/leisure, social, transportation, legal, income support and other considerations as identified by the team. Planning will include discussion of least restrictive/most appropriate alternative placements, and advantages and disadvantages of those alternatives for your child. Children with disabilities, age 3-21, are entitled to receive free and appropriate public education (FAPE) and special education as determined by their IEP team.
Anne Carlsen Center has been recognized by Apple as an Apple Distinguished School since 2013. Apple recognizes Anne Carlsen as a school that demonstrates innovation, leadership and educational excellence. At Anne Carlsen we have a commitment to continuous innovation in learning, teaching, and in creating a school environment that is a hallmark of success. Apple has recognized us as being leaders in the use of Apple technologies, universal design for learning, and assistive technologies and how we implement them throughout the curriculum. We also look to new and innovative solutions such as 3-D printing, Virtual and Augmented Reality, Internet of Things and robotics. Our goal is to be leaders in our field in order to provide our students with the tools so they can realize their fullest potential.